President Trump is temporarily suspending immigration to ensure that American workers are first in line for jobs as we begin to move towards reopening the country.
PUTTING A PAUSE ON IMMIGRATION
· President Trump is putting a 60 day pause on immigration to protect American workers as we face this challenge as a nation.
· President Trump wants to protect American workers and ensure those laid off by the coronavirus outbreak are not replaced with new immigrant labor as we reopen the country.
o PRESIDENT TRUMP: “By pausing immigration, we’ll help put unemployed Americans first in line for jobs as America reopens… It would be wrong and unjust for Americans laid off by the virus to be replaced with new immigrant labor flown in from abroad.”
AMERICANS STAND WITH PRESIDENT TRUMP
· Recent polls show Americans overwhelmingly support restricting immigration during the coronavirus pandemic.
· Nearly 80% of Americans said they favor a pause on immigration, according to a recent USA Today/Ipsos poll.
DEMOCRATS’ OWN WORDS
· Even Democrats and liberal media pundits used to argue against mass migration because of the harm it causes for American workers.
- Then-Sen. Barack Obama warned that mass migration “threatens to depress further the wages of blue-collar Americans and put strains on an already overburdened safety net.”
- Bernie Sanders in 2015: “You think we should open the borders and bring in a lot of low-wage workers, or do you think maybe we should try to get jobs for those [American] kids?”
- Paul Krugman has noted “Immigration reduces the wages of domestic workers who compete with immigrants. That’s just supply and demand.”