Nadler’s Hypocrisy On Impeachment Knows No Bounds As College Professors Roll up in Limos to Trash Trump
For over a decade, Jerry Nadler has warned against pursuing an unfair, partisan impeachment. Now, Nadler and House Democrats’ impeachment sham is defying his own past warnings.
The best debate ever would Nadler then against Nadler now. We could sell tickets! Nadler V Nadler!
Nadler has warned against pursuing a partisan impeachment – advice Congressional Democrats are now ignoring.
· NADLER: “There must never be a narrowly voted impeachment or an impeachment supported by one of our major political parties and opposed by another. Such an impeachment will produce divisiveness and bitterness in politics for years to come, and will call into question the very legitimacy of our political institutions.”
· NADLER: “The American people are watching and they will not forget. You may have the votes, you may have the muscle, but you do not have the legitimacy of a national consensus or of a constitutional imperative. This partisan coup d’etat will go down in infamy in the history of this Nation.”
· NADLER: “Impeachment should not be partisan. You have to be in a situation to undertake impeachment where you believe that once all the evidence is public, not a majority but a good fraction of the opposition voters who supported the president would say, ‘Well, they had to do it. It was the right thing to do.’”
Nadler advised against the kind of unfair process they are running now.
· NADLER: “The essential question, which is to set up a fair process as to whether to put this country through an impeachment proceeding – that was ruled out of order and the Republicans refused to let us discuss that.”
· NADLER: “In the Judiciary Committee it was a travesty of an investigation. The whole process was turned upside down. I always thought – I was raised to believe that we had certain regard for due process of law and fundamental fairness in our system.”
Nadler warned about using impeachment to undo the results of an election and overturn the will of the people.
· NADLER: “The issue in a potential impeachment is whether to overturn the results of a national election, the free expression of the popular will of the American people. That is an enormous responsibility and an extraordinary power. It is not one we should exercise lightly. It is certainly not one which should be exercised in a manner which either is or would be perceived by the American people to be unfair or partisan.”
· NADLER: “If you’re going to impeach the president, you want more than Democrats and progressives to understand what you’re doing . . . You have to have enough public support so that you’re not tearing the country apart, so that you don’t have half the country saying for the next 30 years, ‘We won the election, you stole it from us.’”
· NADLER: “Impeachment is a political act, and you cannot impeach a president if the American people will not support it.”
· NADLER: “They [the American people] elected President Clinton, they still support him. We have no right to overturn the considered judgment of the American people.”
· NADLER: “There are clearly some members of the Republican majority who have never accepted the results of the 1992 or 1996 elections, and who apparently have chosen to ignore the message of last month’s election, but in a democracy, it is the people who rule, not political elites – and not members of political elites who were repudiated at the last election.”
Nadler previously advised that focusing on impeachment would “paralyze our government” – which is exactly the case today as Democrats abandon vital legislative priorities.
· NADLER: “It [impeachment] would paralyze the government for many months while the problems of Social Security, Medicare, a deteriorating world economy, and all our foreign concerns festered without proper attention.”
Despite his past comments, Nadler has now made clear that he is intent on seeing through the exact kind of impeachment he warned about.
· NADLER: “We cannot wait four years to vote Mr. Trump out of office… So we must do everything we can to stop Trump and his extreme agenda now.”